01 April 2011

April Showers

This winter just does NOT want to let go.  Quite frankly, I'm straight up sick of it.  I'm not a real big fan of spring, since the weather just cannot make up its mind.  Winter has its act together -- always cold with a splash of blizzards here and there.  Summer's job is to be hot and humid (at least in Philly), which it does quite nicely each year.  Fall's job is to hang onto that summer warmth for as long as possible before winter finally kicks it away.  Spring, however, is trying to be everyone's friend.  It's staying cold for winter, since it's not ready to give up its job for the year, and it's trying to be warm for summer's job to start.  I'm over it.

Today, in the Philly area, it's cold and rainy.  Some areas even got SNOW.  Earlier in the week they were talking about a Nor'easter.  Thank GOODNESS that didn't happen!!  I might've made good on my threat to flee to Costa Rica.

To brighten up my day, I took a little trip to the nail salon to treat myself to a "beginning of spring" pedicure.  Pedicures never fail to brighten my spirits :-)  Next stop: Joann Fabric.  Hoooo boy that store is dangerous.  I went in to get a ruler to use with my fabric cutting board, and came out with two pieces of fabric, a fabric marking pen, some scrapbooking stickers that were on clearance, and Easter ribbon.  Good news, though, most everything was on sale, AND, what I didn't get on sale, I had a 40% off coupon, so it all came to around $26.00.  Woot!

This is the ruler I got for my cutting board - I apologize for the glare, but this is the best pic I could get.  It's pretty awesome.  It's 6.5" x 24.5", and will be perfect for cutting linens for stitching projects and other fabrics for backing and finishing.  Who knows...maybe I'll take up quilting or sewing and it'll be even more useful than I anticipate!

This dark blue fabric caught my eye as I searched through the remnants stack, and I'm hoping it'll be perfect for the Sticks baby gift I made for my friend, Katie.  The starry night it portrays should be perfect :-)

No matter what time of year it is, I'm always on the hunt for fun holiday fabric, Whether it be for fall or Christmas, I'm always looking.  I haven't been able to find any fun spring fabrics yet, but my eyes are peeled.  This fun Christmas fabric caught my eye, so I picked it up to throw in my stash for Christmas project finishing.  I love the shiny green squares :-)



After all the fun I had in the fabric section, I thought I was about done for the day.  As I approached the checkout, I saw this totally cute reusable tote hanging on a fixture, and just had to have it!  I love that the handles are rulers!!  I will definitely make sure this is in my car at all times in case I have to make an unplanned "I have to go in here" stop at Joann's! :-) 


Now, that old saying "April showers bring May flowers" may be true, but there's one other thing it brings...OPENING DAY OF BASEBALL.  I cannot even tell you how excited I am for the baseball season to finally begin.  I do feel bad for anyone who went to today's game at Citizens Bank Park, since it's downright nasty outside.  HOWEVER, those who did go, saw an awesome game!!  Our Phillies pulled out a win in the 9th!  Down 4-2, they tied the game, and John Mayberry, Jr. singled to bring in the winning run!  A walk-off 9th inning run at the season home opener is a great way to start the season!  GO PHILS!!!!

1 comment:

Tony Van Helsing said...

I thought we were clear of winter over here but we had frost last night. A last stab from winter.